Attempting to prevent or reduce your exposure to mold starts with an assessment of your home. When it turns moisture issue is being a breeding grounds for mold growth, removing mold isn’t the fix, moisture needs to be eliminated first. Using a dehumidifier can be helpful especially in basements, bathrooms, and attics. Read on to learn how to use your dehumidifier properly. …
Humidity is rising
From Monticello to Poughkeepsie the humidity is rising, hot humid days are here and not going anywhere soon. Many are booting up their dehumidifiers for some relief in the home from excessive humidity. Increased humidity can lead to an optimal mold growth environment in your home. Use of a dehumidifier can help to reduce moisture and prevent mold growth. Dehumidifiers while extremely helpful, can pose a mold risk themselves when not cared for properly which many people do not realize. See below for our tips on reducing moisture and using a dehumidifier properly in order to reduce the risk of mold growth in the home.
- Neglected dehumidifiers can be a source of mold and spread mold spores, keep them clean and keep up with regular maintenance suggested by the manufacturer of your dehumidifier in the instruction manual
- Use a dehumidifier in any area of the home that is prone to moisture (i.e. Basement, crawlspace)
- Empty and clean the reservoir regularly with hot soapy water – a dirty reservoir can be a breeding grounds for mold.
- Purchase a hygrometer to measure the level of relative humidity in your home, strive to keep it between 50-55%, check relative humidity in all rooms and levels of the home or building
- If you notice an area is particularly moist or wet, use the dehumidifier in that area within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth and keep an eye on that area
We hope that these tips help you to properly use your dehumidifier this summer and protect you against mold growth and exposure. No matter how hard we try sometimes mold happens! That is why we are here for you if you have discovered mold in your home or suspect it may be a culprit of your allergies, call us today for your mold inspection.