If we’ve said it once, we’ve said It one hundred times, areas of high humidity are a breeding ground for mold. Mold loves humidity, it can grow, spread and thrive anywhere that is moist or damp. Keeping the humidity in your home lower than 50% for the day, is very important in avoiding mold growth. One of the areas that’s the hardest to reduce humidity is the bathroom. Here are some tips on keeping your bathroom a mold free environment.
- Ventilation – Make sure your exhaust fan is in good working order, use it while taking a shower or a bath and even after until the room is dry. If you do not have an exhaust fan in your bathroom, consider getting one installed.
- Dry – Wipe off wet surfaces in the shower and tub after use. Squeegees are a great inexpensive tool that you can keep in the shower to use quickly after you are finished bathing.
- Clothing – Do not keep a hamper in the bathroom. Although it seems like a smart place for keeping laundry off the floor, damp clothes can attract mold spores.
- Cleaning – Wash your shower curtain, hand towels, towels and bath mat regularly. As these items continually are exposed to water, they have the ability to grow mold quickly. If you see mold on them, wash immediately.
- Remove Carpet- Remove any carpeting in your bathroom, use small rugs that you can wash and replace easily instead.
For more information on how to control mold indoors, visit the National Institute of Health’s website here. A mold inspection is a fool proof way to find out if there are any humidity issues in your home. Our team here at HNST Mold Inspections uses a system called moisture mapping to ascertain if there are any ongoing leaks or sources of moisture in your household. If you are experiencing humidity issues in your home, call us today to schedule your mold inspection.