Mold is a type of fungus that can creep into your home unnoticed. This happens because mold is a small organism that is a lightweight spore that travels through the air to find the perfect spot to set up camp, which is where it multiplies and turns into the mold we sometimes see in our homes. Therefore, it is so important to have mold inspections in your home by professionals.
Read on to learn more about how mold grows, why mold testing is so important, and the effects of mold on your health.
Believe it or not, but mold is actually extremely common to find in buildings and homes. This is because mold can grow in any place that it finds moisture, and mold spores are almost always floating around.
Since mold spores are in the air, they can enter your home in several ways: open windows, vents, heating and air conditioning systems, they can even attach themselves to your clothes, your shoes, or your pets, and carried right inside your front door!
Unfortunately, mold grows the best on the most common products that we build our homes with. Wallpaper, drywall, insulation, carpet, paints, paper products, cardboard, wood—the list can go on and on. Any place in your home that has more moisture or is high in humidity is the perfect breeding ground for mold.
If this is the case, it may be time to call a professional for mold testing.
Inspecting for Mold
If you have a mold problem, you will most likely know because you will either smell it or see it, or both. Mold assessment is extremely important, not only for your health but also for the health of your home. Mold can wreak havoc not only on surfaces but also underneath.
When you see mold, don’t assume that it is only surface level. Mold is likely to affect the entire area that you see and deep inside as well.
When you have a mold inspection done, this will probably be confirmed. This type of damage can ring up a large bill, so when you see mold, call your professional mold removers right away.
If you don’t see any mold but have recently had water damage, it is a good time to get an inspection done just to be on the safe side.
Mold and Your Health
Mold can cause many health problems, some of which are mild such as a stuffy nose and itchy eyes, or more intense like upper respiratory tract infections and heavy coughs.
A lot of the mold that grows in homes can be harmless; however, the toxicity of the mold does not depend on the color. Many people will see light green mold and will just wash with bleach, but that mold could be toxic for your health and not only growing on the surface.
We all know that black mold is extremely toxic and should be removed from the home instantly. Along with black mold, other toxic molds can cause mold poisoning which can include aches and pains, changes in mood, headaches, and even memory loss.
After reading this article, we hope you have learned more about why it is so important to get mold inspections when you believe you may have some growing in your home. Remember that even if it only looks like a bit of mold on the surface, underneath could be much worse.
Contact us here at HNST Mold Inspections for any of your mold needs or questions!