As a mold inspector, HNST Mold Inspections visit many homes and offices investigating suspected mold. There are always different reasons for someone to call us, from concern due to a musty smell in a basement or something more severe such as when health symptoms persist and an allergy to mold is suspect. For those who call us in to do an investigation, there are usually a fair amount of questions that come with our visit. From what we hear regularly, we’ve put together a list of the top five things you should know about mold. These five things are important in that knowing them can help you identify, know where to turn for help, and prevent mold growth.
Here are five things that you should know about Mold!
- There are potential health effects associated with the exposure to mold. These effects could be allergic reactions such as coughing or sneezing, as well as other more severe complaints such as asthma or respiratory issues that are worse in a particular environment.
- Mold is a part of our everyday environment, there is no possible way to avoid mold completely. It exists as spores in the air.
- When Mold begins to grow, it needs to be cleaned or removed off of the area and prevented against in the future. Prevention includes reducing moisture in your home or workplace.
- Controlling humidity in your home can help to decrease mold growth. It is recommended that indoor humidity be no more than 60%.
- After a flood or water event, all materials should be cleaned and dried within 48 hours to prevent mold growth.
If you notice your symptoms are worse in a particular environment, a certain smell is off, or you see visible mold, call HNST Mold Inspections for an investigation. We’ll help you figure out if mold is present, what type it is and guide you as to how to properly get rid of it. Prevention is key, so our team will also give you tips on how to prevent mold from spreading and growing in the future.