Because mold is a normal part of the environment inside of your home, it is impossible to avoid or get rid of mold altogether. What you can do is to reduce the amount of moisture in your home which can help to prevent the growth of mold. Follow the advice below to prevent mold and moisture problems in your home.
Mold & Moisture Prevention Tips:
- If there is excess moisture in the air of your home or in a particular room, use a dehumidifier to reduce moisture
- Get a hygrometer from a local hardware store and keep track of the humidity in your home. Aim for about 60% humidity or below to keep moisture levels down.
- Check and clean your drip pans on your air conditioners regularly
- If you see moisture on windows, air conditioners, etc, keep it dry by wiping it clean to prevent mold growth.
- Identify and repair any leaks or seepage into your home. If water is entering your home from outside, consider an update to your landscaping to send water away from the home.
- Keep doors between rooms open in your home. This will help to keep circulating air moving and dry out moist areas.
- Use exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathroom whenever needed to remove excess moisture and steam from the room.
Use these tips to prevent moisture from becoming a breeding ground for mold in your home. If you’ve been trying your best to reduce moisture in your home with these tips and others, but aren’t having any luck preventing mold, then its time for a mold inspection. Contact HNST Mold Inspections today for your New Jersey or New York home!